Thursday, April 22, 2004

Death & Pain

I hope nobody is offended by my thoughts on death so here goes. In the last day, my younger brother broke is right wrist after falling on it, just found out that my grandmother broke her wrist (she's 86ish), a girl was found dead on the campus where my sister is going to college, and the pain of the lost of a friends aunt keeps lingering in the way deaths always do. I'm always reminded in the spring of my cousin's death a month after Ciuapilli was born, and of the abrupted halt to our first baby almost 3 years ago. So much changes so fast, but it stays the same... Contradictory but true. One of these is death itself, we can run all our lives from it but sadly we are all mortal, you, me, my daughter, wife everyone we love and hate will die. I don't say this sadistically or happily but just to explain how death seems like one of those things that you either embrace (in a very human way) or completely ignore and reject (like only humans can do) and to varying degrees do both. I personally try to embrace it although the pain the emptiness and the despair that comes with it is nothing you can learn to accept or blow off like nothing. But with the growth of our human brothers and sisters more and more the loss of life becomes so great but so negligible that mere numbers from foreign or even semi-distant places is brushed off like the TV after the news. More and more the death of every single person will sting less because of the sheer size of our world but for those whom shared in the lives of those that die the pain will forever sting the bleeding heart.

-for renee

No comments: