Tuesday, April 27, 2004

My Political Roots

Anyone who knows me knows that I have an endless curiosity for what we call politics. I can never get enough, to me it is as simple as understanding the reason why people do the things that they do, basically the reasoning behind things. And to me our government is (or should be) the decision making organization that our society/nation relies upon to maintain and give direction to our country. That being said I am very much a liberal minded person and am not and will not be a shamed to say that, but I don't believe in being so much or one mind or ideology that you never listen or consider or people's opinions, especially since our humanity causes us to be wrong like 30% of the time.

Needless to say the past experiences of people dictates a lot of what people will believe and how they will act. That is such a natural thing that we tend to forget about it. So that people that read this blog better understand me I will try to summaries my past so people can understand my view on the present and future.

I am a Chicano. Not the sit on the front porch and work on my lowrider Chicano (although I'd like to do that one day). I am a Yale educated Chicano, who is married to another Chicana with a two year old little Chicana. (yes I'm using the terms Chicano and Chicana interchangeably, not that I don't understand the difference). I am from Avenal, California in Central California. First generation Mexican, from parents that are originally from Huejuquilla in Central Mexico. Have lived a kind of an immigrants-American Dream that has come full circle back to Mexico. Since a lot of immigrants come here for the economic benefit of working and "say" they'll go back once they have enough, most stay because of family, and comfort in the US. My family has put up an enormous struggle to not assimilate and to keep the last part of that dream a reality. 10 day after I was born my family went back to Mexico and on average 2 times a year for most of my life I traveled back (in time it seemed) to Mexico to continually work on our family cattle ranch that survived while we were not there. This coupled with the parental disagreement over the role of Mexico for the family's future ensured a very conflicted vision of Mexico in the grander scheme of my life in my eyes. I love it and hate it at the same time, but I do know that through blood and circumstance I am inevitably linked/bonded with Mexico and my hometown in California. I am a Scorpio if that helps. I am will enjoy my 10 year anniversary of being a Chicano this summer, which happened at a summer conference called CLYLP Chicano Latino Youth Leadership Project that helped free my head from the sand, (check out the link my sister's picture is front and center with the Chicana Power shirt I got her :)) and exposed me to the litany of Chicano culture, life and its spirituality. I had a "Save by the Bell" type of High School experience but with everyone being Mexican; I'm one of those people that loved High School. Went on to Yale where I continued the Chicano Power stuff while studying Politics. Political Science is not my best subject at all, history is, but I feel that it is imperative to understand power structures through organizations, policies and all other Political shit (i.e. economic, efficacy) so that people with little or no power can find some justice in this world.

Okay, its late and I know this post is more streaming thought but I do want to make it a habit which will mutually enlighten everyone that reads and posts to this blog. PS- Great Picture of Spring time Yale at Angela's Blog (check out her link underneath the picture). PD- feel free to negate or add to this in the comments section, ARRIBA!

No comments: