Friday, April 30, 2004

My Daughter's Courage

Today I took care of another 2 year old for about 10 hours. It was an enlightening experience to say the least. I have been a bit conserned about my daughter not speaking full sentences and still babbling baby talk mixed in with some real words. This other baby girl speak well for a 2 year old, very articulite. So as a father I felt like damn my baby is behind, but through the course of the day I saw how my daughter's own character made me feel like she's growing up on the right track. The other little girl has seldom been taken care of outside of her home or with any male. Ciuapilli has only been taken care of by family and only randomly. They are too very head strong kids but good kids nonetheless. The little girl was scare of me the first time I took care of her and not that much today. But every once in a while she would feel lonely and cry for her mom, Ciuapilli (for better or worse) doesn't really get that sad when were gone she just wants to go with us initially. The we went to the park and the girls had a blast, but the little girl was scared by the other kids in the park. Meanwhile Ciuapilli was running around saying hi and setting her own trail when it came to playing. The other girl was scared and need me to be around the whole time. Ciuapilli feel a few time and even mocked herself falling, which had me laughing and angry cuz of all the sand she was getting filled with. Nevertheless, this day of childcare actually opened my eyes to the strenghts of my daughter that I appreciate and bearly noticed till I dealt with a kid that was struggling with them for a day, not to say this little girl doesn't have these strenghts but because she has only been taken care of a few times I understand but it gave me a comparasion.

Ciuapilli vibes with me. She can entertain herself and be by herself for sometime. Her not talking is actually a godsend... back talking kids are a pain cuz 1. they back talk and 2. there kids so you can't put that much on what there saying but damn it pisses you off sometimes. Ciuapilli is really not as much a pain as I though she once was, when put in perspective she really is a very well behaved curious little girl who is as brave as can be, I really can't remember the last time she was scared of anything. (She electrocuted herself two weeks ago in a random plug we hadn't covered and she was by it the other day and hit it but nothing else, no fear no nothing. The other thing I feel in my gut with my baby and was probably acentuated by the fear of the other girl is the trust Ciuapilli has in the people that love her, not just me but her mom, grandparents and aunts and uncles. This above all made my day. To know that my daughter will grow up with faith and trust in the people that love her and hopefully in the world around her, will help her be a very strong Chicana with lots of love for her parents and fellow man. Especially in a world were fear has been commodified to the point that its an accepted part of our lives. I hope the fear of life never overtakes my daughter.

No comments: